Our Fashion Trend of the Month for July is Nautical Nuance. Ahoy, matey! It's all aboard for summer fun in nautical fashion. Nautical-inspired styles have been featured at many retailers this season, and the good thing about this trend is that nautical fashion is always "in" for summer, even when it's not considered a featured fashion or a trend of the season.
Most nautical fashion relies on blue and white hues as well as red, and since those are flag colors too, nautical fashion can do double duty for the Fourth of July. Other colors featured in nautical fashion include black and gold or brass; often the metallic tones take the form of buttons, and we sometimes see them in appliques on garments or fashion accessories. Horizontal sailor stripes dominate nautical fashion this season, but petites would be wise to turn the stripes to the diagonal or vertical for the most slimming look.
Tips for Wearing Nautical Fashion and Fashion Accessories
- Look for nautical fashion at all price points; you can find inexpensive nautical fashion at discount stores and very pricey nautical fashion at top-end retailers.
- Avoid nautical clothing that features horizontal stripes, especially horizontal stripes in places that you'd rather disguise.
- Chose vertical stripes or diagonal stripes for garments.
- Avoid nautical wedges.
- Horizontal stripes can work on accessories, such as the earrings, handbag, and sandals pictured above.
- Avoid epaulettes.
- If you want to wear a nautical print, make sure that the motifs are proportionally sized for your short stature, and avoid huge motifs.
Nautical Nuance Shopping List
Petites' two-button blazer by Jones New York available from Boscov's in sizes 4P - 12P (Buy Direct)
Red-striped nautical tote with matching coin pouch from Zappos (Buy Direct)
Nautical sandal by Sperry Top Sider available from Zappos (Buy Direct)
Betsey Johnson anchor earrings available from Zappos (Buy Direct)
Lauren by Ralph Lauren white nautical shorts with button detail available in petites' sizes 2P - 14P from Macy's (Buy Direct)
Strapless, nautical-print, tube dress in sizes XS - L available from Couture Candy (Buy Direct) - Although this dress is not specially sized for petites, it should work because of the shift styling. Smocking on the bodice of the dress helps create shape, and the dress could also be belted to enhance shape.