Our Fashion Trend of the Month for February 2013 is graphic black and white fashion. Looking forward to spring and summer, black and white fashion will be on trend, and since many designers are loving stripes for spring and summer, many of them showed black and white stripes on the runway, including Dolce & Gabbana (as pictured above at left), Oscar de la Renta, Michael Kors, Marc Jacobs, and Chanel. Speaking of stripes, this year's stripes tend to be wide and bold. Not all the black and white fashion for spring 2013 is striped though. There are color-blocked looks as well as geometric graphic patterns. What we're not seeing in black and white this year are the florals that were so popular several seasons ago.
The way a petite woman chooses to interpret the graphic black and white trend for spring and summer this year depends, to an extent, on her fashion personality. For petites who have a classic fashion personality, the Calvin Klein contrast trim dress pictured at left center above would be a good option while those with a trendy fashion personality will probably prefer the Donna Ricco sheath, shown at right above, which features a trendy exposed zipper with a color pop of green and a handsome graphic print design.
The black and white twosome has trended as a top fashion color duo, waxing and waning in popularity, for years. The high-contrast combo has much to recommend it, especially for spring and summer dressing. Black and white tends to look fresh and crisp, so it's especially appropriate for the new season.
Tips for Wearing Graphic Black and White Fashion and Fashion Accessories
- Because both black and white are fashion neutrals, it's easy to pop a black and white ensemble with a bright cardigan or fashion accessory to change the look a bit.
- When wearing black and white garments, avoid wearing fashion accessories that are also black and white combinations.
- If you'd like to wear black and white stripes, keep them vertical.
- Avoid very big and bold graphics, which may look out of proportion on a petite women.
- If you want to wear a black and white color-blocked garment, make sure that the color blocks fall in a flattering way on your body. Remember that black will recede, making an area covered with black look smaller, while white will advance, making an area covered with white look larger.
Black and White Fashion Shopping List
Black and white sheath dress from Calvin Klein available in petite sizes 2P - 12P as well as regular sizes from Nordstrom (Buy Direct)
Black and white, rectangular-shaped, lightweight scarf featuring a logo design from Marc by Marc Jacobs available from Piperlime (Buy Direct)
Two-tone, black and white minaudiere box clutch available from Piperlime (Buy Direct)
Black and white, pointed toe, 2.5-inch, high heels in sizes 5.5 - 13 available from Zappos (Buy Direct)
Black and white graphic print shift dress by Donna Ricco with trendy green contrast zipper available in petites' sizes 2P - 10P from Nordstrom (Buy Direct)